Monday, October 17, 2011

64-bit Ubuntu upgrade

I recently updated my Netbook to the Ubuntu LINUX 64-bit (ubuntu-11.10-dvd-amd64.iso). At first I had heard that the 64-bit didn't provide adequate support for the mostly 32-bit software available. When I decided to take another look, I was seeing more positive reviews and decided to give it a whirl. I have been pleasantly surprised so far. Programs seem more responsive and I have been seeing less graying out when starting programs. The system monitor has now correctly detected my 2GB of RAM. It still appears to believe that I have a dual core processor. (Intel® Atom™ CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz × 2) As far as I can tell, from the product information, It's a single core 2 thread processor.
No glitches and it's the OS that this was designed to run.
Next step install the 64-bit LTS on the (wife's) desktop!


11/02/11
Update: My printer drivers are 32-bit! Canon PIXMA MX340. I was able to get the scanner to work with Simple Scan. The printer not. I'm trying Google Cloud Print but not tested it yet. I will not be updating desktop to 64-bit until CANON gets up to speed!

1 comment: